Dogs Are Dying Because The Recipe For THIS Household Staple Has Changed! A MUST READ!

We LOVE our dogs, and love giving them treats. Some people give their pooches store bought biscuits from a box; others prefer a bone that will keep our pooches busy for hours. There are those too who prefer to give their dogs human foods, like chicken, beef, cheese, or even fruit. Foods like these have are canine-friendly and keep our best friends healthy and happy.

A new ingredient is being added to a pup-approved snack we’ve always thought as okay to give our dogs, and  can actually be as deadly to a dog as chocolate.

The ASPCA is now reporting that there is a new ingredient in a popular food item that you will find in most refrigerators or pantries,  which if ingested by a dog can kill them. In fact, you might have had some with your breakfast this morning. I will now think twice about feeding it to my dog…

The new ingredient is called “xylitol,”, which has about a third the calories as table sugar, and is a healthy alternative for diabetics. Not only does it make an excellent sugar substitute, but it aids in the prevention of dental caries, and reduces plaque formation.


For us humans it’s a great alternative to sugar, but it can be deadly if consumed by a pup.


It is now being used as a sweetener in peanut butter, a food many dog owners give to their pooch as a  healthy treat.


According to the ASPCA, it is also used in sugar-free gum and mints, nicotine gum, chewable vitamins, oral-care products, and baked goods. “It can be purchased in a granulated form for baking and as a sweetener for cereals and beverages.” So it’s A MUST  that you check these items for xylitol and keep out of reach of your pets.

Flickr user Jepster


Tiny amounts of xylitol to a dog can dangerously lower blood sugar which can lead to liver failure. This following chart shows how a small amount can affect different dogs


Preventive Vet


It is imperative to note that if you see your dog doing what is called “head pressing,” it may be a sign that they have ingested xylitol. Head pressing is a symptom of toxic poisoning, infection of the nervous system, a tumor, or head trauma.




Some Peanut butter brands that contain xylitol are Nuts ’N More® and Krush Nutrition, so if you are purchasing peanut butter for your dog’s treats, stay away from these brands.




One sure fire way to play it safe is by making your own homemade peanut butter, You can find a simple recipe, here.



To read more about the ASPCA’s findings on the effects of xylitol, click here.

Please SHARE and help everyone you know keep their dogs safe!

‘Dementia Village’ Helps Those Suffering From Illness

Everyone Should Know THIS Trick Before Encountering A Tick.