The three dogs were unresponsive. While the crowd attempted to revive the dogs and cool them down with ice, the dogs remained in dire condition. Police Chief Edward Mello said the Jamestown Fire Department rushed the dogs to Newport Animal Hospital, according to ABC 15. Tragically, it was too late: the dogs were pronounced dead a short time later. Ann Garnett was hit with serious charges: three counts of unnecessary cruelty to an animal (a felony) and three counts of confinement of an animal to a motor vehicle. According to NBC 10, Garnett could face up to five years in prison and a $1,000 fine for each count. Police are investigating the possibility that the air conditioning malfunctioned after she left it on. It’s a heartbreaking tragedy that could’ve easily been prevented with common sense. Being left alone in a car isn’t even safe with the windows down.
#New– surveillance video we obtained shows people attempting to do CPR on the dogs, ice them. It also shows them/first responders loading the dogs into a van to be transported to the hospital. @NBC10 pic.twitter.com/RcWUcm4Jbt— Sam Read (@NBC10_Sam) July 22, 2019
“I think any temperature, regardless of whether the air conditioner was on, the windows were down, to be in a vehicle for that extended period of time is clearly unacceptable,” Mello said, according to ABC 15.Locals agreed, reacting in shock to the news.
“That’s just terrible,” nearby resident Tina Tillinghast said. “That’s just common sense. You don’t leave an animal any kind of animal a child or anything in the car for any amount of time in this kind of heat.”We’re at the height of summer and there will be plenty of more hot days to come. It is essential that everyone knows not to leave their pets in cars for any reason. Plan ahead: Leave your pets at home, or ride with someone who can stay with them with the air conditioner going. And if you come across a pet in danger, help them—as this story shows, a dog can only handle so much heat before it is too late.
Help spread this important information, share this story!